Saturday, August 31, 2013

Beautiful!

This photo is from the top of the Bisley Nature Reserve. 

God is SO cool! 
There have been so many different magnificent things that our group has experienced in the past week. 

We have been blessed to visit and see different wildlife when we visited the Lion Park in Johannesburg and when we went to the Bisley Nature Reserve in Pietermaritzburg. We have seen lions, zebras, giraffes, dogs, impala, monkeys, etc. We learned about the Apartheid and visited the museum in Johannesburg. We have shared our stories and our expectations with each other. We have gathered together in great fellowship and shared meals. (Avocados are in season and we have definitely eaten our fill--on sandwiches and pizza) We have worshiped with a community in Wattville. We met new friends after chapel at the Lutheran Theological Institute (LTI). We have learned valuable information at LTI from many different people. 

Yesterday, we navigated the public transportation. Here there are Kombis (come-bees), which are 15 person vans. Tessa told us to go out in small groups to the Midland mall. We were going to 1) pick up anything that we did not pack and planned on buying here/forgot and 2) try out and learn how to use a Kombis. It is a different culture of transportation than many of us are used to. And to be frankly honest, I was really nervous about this. Before yesterday morning I had done pretty much everything in the large group (10 of us) and did not have confidence or awareness for what it would be like. I was unaware of what Kombis looked like and where I would even start to find one. So, I set out after breakfast with another member of our group, Keenan. It was great to be in a pair even though I was still very nervous. I did a wonderful job at following his lead but being aware of all that we encountered. We went to the grocery store (Checkers) and asked someone where we could find a Kombis. He kindly pointed us in the direction and the two of us found it and hopped on. I ended up all the way in the middle back and he ended up in the front seat (the last two seats open in the Kombis). Another thing about Kombis, they don't leave until all the seats are filled. Once it starts, people start to pass their fee forward. I took my que from the other passengers around me. I was not sure of what to expect or of exactly what I was doing. We had been given advice about how to navigate and were told to follow what others were doing. I saw that people were passing forward 10 rand, so I did too. Then money was coming back and the man next to me handed me some coins! It was my change. At that moment, with no words ever spoken, I felt at peace and looked out for. I did not know what I was doing, but I knew that the people around me were good people and they were going to help me. 

With every moment and every encounter with someone new I become more and more excited about meeting my host community in Thohoyandou, which I have learned is pronounced more as toy-on-dough. Thanks be to GOD!

2 comments:

  1. God is Great! Your adventure sounds so exciting..can't wait for more! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. May all your firsts be so based in faith! Keep on expanding your horizon. Love

    ReplyDelete