Wednesday, March 5, 2014

One Body Needs Many Members

So the Bible verse from 1 Corinthians is a familiar one. One body, many members. We all need each other. It’s a common verse, bible study, devotion, etc. I’ve heard it many times before. I call upon it often. But here, it is lived out.

So, I’ve been working on my pride. I may have mentioned before that it can be a problem (hopefully not visible, but I totally know that it is there). I sometimes have a hard time accepting help from others because I want to be able to do it myself, sometimes it is to prove myself. Well…I have been shown that one leg cannot think that the body walks because of it. There are two legs, because there needs to be help. More is better.
                I was at a church event and we were doing a small group activity where we described street signs with regard to faith life. I went up and presented with another guy in our group. Three groups later another guy gets up and presents from his group. At the end he shares a story and related it to our sign. My default is defensive, but the guy from our group, without missing a beat, told him ‘thank you.’ He was sincere. It was great to have that added to the discussion. Our thought was incomplete. It was only one. God made for there to be more. More people. More ideas. More.

Each part of the body is valuable, even if we don’t think it is part of the process or if it is new.
                I learned that even though I can only follow along about 5% of what is said during Sunday morning services, I pick up what hymn number we are singing. I am the shoulder that can assist the hand in grabbing the cup on the top shelf. I don’t do much, but it is valuable-especially to the woman next to me who missed what hymn we were singing and I can help show her.  

Our body adjusts for itself. It works at its best when all the pieces accommodate and help the others to function at their highest. The eyes. They can scan the world faster than the brain can input. We can see things before we can register them. But, for the body to function at its best, the eyes slow down to help the brain intake all that the eyes can see.
                I was walking home from the grocery store when I ran into my friend. I asked him where he was going. He said USave (the place I was just from) so I turned around and walked with him and 4 others back to the store. I learned along the way that the boy in the wheelchair that my friend was pushing was not someone he knew. He was walking to the ATM with his friend and saw a guy trying to help push the two guys in wheelchairs along the dirt sidewalk/walkway. They were going to USave (next to the ATM), so instead of walking past, they helped walk with them and push. He told me that is just what you do.


Some of us can do things faster, differently, more creatively, than others, but what good would come from our success if we leave the rest of the body to stumble behind, trying to catch up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment